Saturday, September 17, 2005

The Revolution is Coming, and I am Scared...

Hey, everyone.

As most of you know, Nintendo is coming out with the Revolution in 2006. Now, first off, with a name like "Revolution", the company is starting to sound a bit pretentious. Add to that the fact that they've said the Revolution will "change the way we interpret gaming," and now they're building quite an expectation to meet. Now, with all that said, here is one way in which Nintendo will "revolutionize" gaming.

Behold! This is the new controller for the Nintendo Revolution...well, for now; this is a work in progress. Get this, though: the joystick on the left side is just an attachment for older Nintendo games or special games. Really, the remote control-looking thing on the right is the whole controller. According to Nintendo, they wanted to make a one-handed controller in order to attract consumers that may be put off by video game controllers in general. (The whole two-handed thing is overly complicated, I guess.) In other words, they wanted to make the controls feel more intuitive so the whole family can play.

Now, I have to say, I was really put-off by the new design. However, I saw a presentation video on Game Spot that talked about the controller more in-depth and even had a teaser trailer to give an idea of the way the games are played. Such ways include aiming it like a gun or swinging it around like a sword (or lightsaber, Mike). You can see the video by going here:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/09/15/news_6133335.html?gcst=169_iwata_tgs05_keynote_revcontroller_1_4.asx&tag=gs_hp_flashtop_bg

While the video gave rest to some of my fears, I am still a bit hesitant at accepting this new design. I mean, how will Smash Bros. Revolution be? Will I still be able to kick all of your sorry asses with the Puff? I guess I'll just have to wait to find out. Still, I think this will be the first Nintendo console that I won't buy right away...partly because of the controllers, partly because I'm a poor piece of shit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home